1. Browsing at some of my favourite book stores, such as this one or this one. Check. I visited both these bookshops more than once and stopped in a couple others as well. As you can imagine. I'll post about my book purchases another day soon.2. Visiting friends and their babies. Check. It was good to visit with family and friends including some I hadn't seen for a few years. Also fun to see how big 2 year old A. has gotten and meeting 4 month old E.
3. Walking on the beach. Check. I forgot to consider the tides so the morning I went to walk along a nearby beach the tide was in and it was pretty darn chilly but still worth it!
4. Smelling the ocean and generally enjoying the view. Check. Mmm something about that salty air makes me content and I loved being able to see the ocean regularly. It's so calming. No wonder I miss it terribly here where I'm surrounded by concrete.
5. Driving. We don't have a car here so I only drive in Canada when I rent a car about once a year. Check. Public transportation in Tokyo is really very good but it was nice to have the freedom to drive around whenever and wherever I liked.
6. Enjoying the Autumn colours. It'll likely be another month before the leaves turn here. Check. A lot of the leaves had actually already fallen but some of the trees were still quite full and colourful. It really helped put me in an autumn mood. The leaves have just started to turn here so I'm looking forward to getting out to see those soon.
7. Taking pictures. Check. I was busy visiting and shopping so I didn't take pictures every day but there were a handful of nice sunny days when I made a point to get out and take photos and just generally enjoy the weather and the view. So I have lots of photos of water, I just couldn't resist that blue!
8. Shopping. It's hard to find my size in Japan so I'll have a bit of a shopping spree for clothes and shoes. Check. Got some new shoes and pants and a few other things. I filled up my suitcase and then some so I can't complain.
9. Eating Ukrainian food. Gotta have my annual perogy fix. Check. Mmmm... perogies and sour cream! Had some borscht too which was great!
10. Eating lots of other foods I've been missing, like rhubarb pie, salt & vinegar chips, etc. Check. I had strawberry rhubarb pie, salt & vinegar chips, poutine, Cheerios, a Coffee Crisp, Canadian smoked salmon and root beer. Not all at once of course! :P
11. Relishing the calm and uncrowdedness! Check and double check! All that open space! My happiest moments were probably spent gazing out at the water and enjoying the peacefulness.
12. Enjoying the Halloween atmosphere although unfortunately the jack-o-lantern festival that I went to last year has been cancelled this year. :( Check. I didn't get to see all the pumpkins like last year but it was fun to see some decorations and costumes.
13. Walking down memory lane. Check. It was interesting to see how much has changed in the last year, what shops and such have disappeared, but it was equally fun to see those places that never seem to change and the memories they bring back.
I got to do everything I was hoping to so all in all a pretty successful trip I'd say. It is good to be home again though. Now I have to work at catching up with all of you. The number of unread posts in my Google Reader is really quite frightening. Oh and I'm planning to post a photo version for Thursday Thirteen next week so check back then.